It's not snowing anymore, but we've had cheek-nipping, hair-whipping, door-banging wind for the past few days. The chickens don't act like they mind it -- but their egg production is way down. I've taken to feeding them bits and pieces of Easter ham fat, just to keep their strength up.
The 'baby' chicks, now teenagers, are doing great. They strut around their coop, and peck at anything that moves.
It's a good night for crunchy, garlicky enchiladas, like this "No-roll" version, courtesy of Betty Crocker. Cinco de Mayo (May 5) is coming up, and it might be a good recipe for later., as well.
(Or try any of these other enchilada dishes, courtesy of Betty, that Mexican senorita.)
No-Roll Mexican Rice Enchiladas
- 1 box (6.4 oz) rice and vermicelli mix with Spanish seasonings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 can (19 oz) Old El Paso® mild enchilada sauce
- 1 can (16 oz) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® SteamCrisp® Southwestern style corn, drained
- 1 package (8.2 oz) Old El Paso® flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (ten 6-inch tortillas)
- 2 cups finely shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
- 1 Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook rice and vermicelli with butter over medium heat until rice mixture is golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in water and seasoning mix from rice box. Heat to boiling. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until rice mixture is tender. Stir in 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, the pinto beans and corn.
- 2 Heat oven to 350°F. Place about 1/2 cup rice mixture on center of each tortilla; top rice mixture in each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Fold each in half. Arrange tortillas in 2 rows of 5 in baking dish, placing tortillas open end up, slanting and overlapping. Pour remaining enchilada sauce evenly over enchiladas. Cover tightly with foil.
- 3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and sauce begins to bubble. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Invite 3 friends over, crack open the tequila, and enjoy!